U N A V C O , A N O N - P R O F I T U N I V E R S I T Y - G O V E R N E D C O N S O R T I U M , F A C I L I T A T E S G E O S C I E N C E R E S E A R C H A N D E D U C A T I O N U S I N G G E O D E S Y.
UNAVCO provides project support to principal investigators (PIs) engaged in research funded by our core sponsors including the National Science Foundation Earth Sciences (NSF-EAR), NSF Office of Polar Programs (NSF-OPP), and the National Aeronautics and Space Administration's Solid Earth and Natural Hazards (NASA-SENH) Program. Other non-core sponsors and agencies are supported on a full cost recovery basis. Some major projects in which UNAVCO is involved currently include the Plate Boundary Observatory, NASA Geosciences, COCONet, TLALOCNet, and POLENET.
Do you need help with any of the project planning topics listed here?
- Request Support for:
- Project Technical Planning of PI projects involving GPS/GNSS; borehole instrumentation including strainmeters, accelerometers, and seismometers; terrestrial laser scanning (TLS); communication and power systems.
- Project Budgeting includes project design and implementation costs, including possible equipment design and/or equipment loan, and is co-developed with the PIs.
- Broader Impacts Proposal Guidance submitted by community PIs — UNAVCO can provide guidance to PIs with proposal planning and budgeting for broader impacts.
- Letters of Support can be provided by UNAVCO to detail the resources and support that UNAVCO will provide should the proposal succeed.
- Email projectsunavco.org for quick questions or if you cannot find what you need in the project topics covered below.
UNAVCO provides comprehensive project technical support services to investigators using GPS/GNSS, TLS, and SAR data. These services range from loaned equipment, testing, configuration, integration, and new equipment designs for field deployments to technical training for campaign and permanent station deployments.
- Geophysical Event Response helps coordinate community field activities, hardware, and data requests following an earthquake, volcanic eruptions, or other notable geophysical events.
- Polar Services provides support to NSF-OPP funded scientific investigators working in the Arctic and Antarctic: survey-grade GPS receivers, terrestrial laser scanners, and supporting power and communications systems for continuous data collection and campaign surveying tested for polar conditions are available.
- Education & Outreach Services provides support for Broader Impacts planning and execution of PI projects.
- Note: Currently UNAVCO only supports laser strainmeters (LSM) through sub-awards to PBO LSM operators.
- GPS/GNSS Support provides PI support for projects using GPS or full GNSS:
- Terrestrial Laser Scanning (TLS) Support with instruments, associated digital photography GNSS and ancillary equipment, as well as trained field engineering staff, software licenses, and TLS data archive.
- Borehole Services provides expertise for borehole drilling and instrumentation for 3-axis seismic, horizonal strain, tilt, and borehole pressure.
- Development & Testing for ongoing instrument & equipment testing of GNSS receivers & antennae, communications systems, and power systems for various UNAVCO projects.
- Data Management & Archiving is responsible for GPS/GNSS data delivery or pickup & conversion RINEX, long-term archive storage & FTP access of GPS/GNSS and SAR data.
UNAVCO has several major projects, some of which collaborate with member institutions and other groups, and several which provide regional capacity-building focused on science and international collaborations.
- EarthScope - Plate Boundary Observatory (PBO) is a component of the EarthScope project that precisely measures Earth deformation resulting from the constant motion of the Pacific and North American tectonic plates in the western United States.
- NASA Support — UNAVCO helps support NASA's Global GPS Network (GGN) and the activities of the IGS Central Bureau.
- COCONet - Caribbean Network (Continuously Operating Caribbean GPS/GNSS Observational Network) is an international geoscience community project to develop Caribbean-wide GPS/GNSS observations for geophysical and atmospheric hazard studies in the Caribbean region.
- TLALOCNet - Mexico Network (Mexican GPS-Met Observational Network) is an international geoscience community project to develop Mexico-wide GPS observations for geophysical and atmospheric hazard studies in Mexico.
- POLENET - Polar Observations is a network that improves geophysical observations across the Earth's polar regions and provides a legacy of observational infrastructure to enable new insights into the interaction between the atmosphere, oceans, polar ice sheets and the Earth's crust and mantle.
- LARISSA - Larsen Ice Shelf System, Antarctica is an NSF-funded initiative that brings an international, interdisciplinary team together to study the environmental change in Antarctica's Larsen Ice Shelf System and its global change implications.
- GSAC is a collaboration among geodesy data centers to provide web services for discovery, sharing, and access to geodetic data and metadata.
- RESESS - Student Interns (Research Experiences in Solid Earth Science for Students) is an established and successful program for multi-year summer research internships for Earth science undergraduates from populations underrepresented in science.
- GEodesy Tools for Societal Issues (GETSI) develops teaching resources for engaging undergraduate students in addressing societally important Earth science questions through the use of geodetic data.
UNAVCO participates in many other projects and collaborations, including:
- EarthScope — UNAVCO collaborates with the
other components of this major US science initiative, e.g. USArray at IRIS and SAFOD at Texas A&M University.
- Real-Time GPS — real-time streaming of 1-Hz GPS data from a subset of the PBO GPS network and of COCONet.
- High-Rate GPS — downloading or streaming of 1-, 2-, 5-, and 10-Hz GPS data from select sites in the PBO GPS network, COCONet, POLENET, and other networks.
- TEQC — Collaboration with GPS/GNSS equipment manufacturers and other institutions is required to make the teqc software a success.
- BINEX, for "BINary EXchange," is a now operational binary format standard for GPS/GNSS data and metadata exchange.
- Dataworks for GNSS is a project to provide a turn-key system for regional GNSS data management.
- OpenTopography is a project that facilitates community access to high-resolution, Earth science-oriented, topography data, and related tools and resources.
- Plug & Play GPS is a NASA ROSES ACCESS funded project to provide no-cost services for generating high precision GPS position timeseries products from continuously operating GPS/GNSS stations from around the globe.
- COOPEUS is a project funded under the Research Infrastructures action of the 7th Framework Programme for Research and Innovation of the EU, for bringing together European and US scientists and users.
- EarthCube is an initiative to create a community-driven data and knowledge management system for data sharing across the geosciences.
- Supersites is an initiative under the auspices of the Group on Earth Observations (GEO) and provides access to space borne and in-situ geophysical data of selected sites prone to earthquake, volcano, or other hazards through a web site hosted at UNAVCO.
- WInSAR is a consortium of universities and research laboratories established by a group of practicing scientists and engineers to facilitate collaboration in, and advancement of, Earth science research using radar remote sensing.
UNAVCO has contributed to other projects & collaborations in the past, including:
- AfricaArray — Pan-African Network of Observatories
- GEON — Cyberinfrastructure for the Geosciences
- INTERFACE — data processing and visualization software for TLS data
- SNARF — Stable North America Reference Frame
- ILP GSRM — Global Strain Rate Model sponsored by the International Lithosphere Project
- GEM GSRM — Global Strain Rate Model sponsored by the Global Earthquake Model (GEM) international forum
- NASA LiDAR Access System (NLAS) — NASA ROSES funded project to integrate NASA IceSAT satellite and altitude airborne LiDAR into the OpenTopography system
- BARGEN — Basin and Range Geodetic Network in the western US
- L1 Project — L1-only receiver & radio modem system for geo-hazardous sites
- SuomiNet — world-wide GPS and meteorological array
- PBO Nucleus — incorporation of existing various western US arrays into PBO
- PBO GPS/GNSS Campaigns — GPS/GNSS Campaigns to augment the permanent PBO GPS Network
- GeoEarthScope — SAR. ALS, and geochronology datasets for EarthScope
- Seamless SAR Archive (SSARA) — NASA ROSES funded project to provide users with GUI and web service API to view and retrieve SAR data from multiple archives
Last modified: Wednesday, 08-Mar-2017 20:12:10 UTC