UNAVCO is committed to providing a safe, productive, and welcoming environment for all participants in UNAVCO sponsored or organized activities.
All persons affiliated with or participating in activities are expected to adhere to the highest standards of conduct and to maintain personal and professional integrity outlined in this Code of Conduct. This statement is meant to cover all programming of UNAVCO including meetings and events as well as those sponsored by organizations or entities other than UNAVCO but held in conjunction with UNAVCO events, in public or private facilities. This includes activities such as internship programs, workshops, field trips, and short courses as well as receptions and other informal or formal gatherings associated with UNAVCO. Similarly, participants shall adhere to this code of conduct in online spaces related to the meeting and meeting-associated events, including Facebook, Twitter, and other online venues.
- Treat others with respect and consideration, value a diversity of views and opinions.
- Be considerate, inclusive, respectful, and collaborative.
- Be kind to others. Avoid personal attacks.
- Communicate openly with respect for others, critiquing ideas rather than individuals.
- Be mindful of your surroundings and of your fellow participants.
- Respect the rules and policies of meeting venues, hotels, contracted facilities, or any other venue.
- All communication should be appropriate for a professional audience including people of many different backgrounds. Do not insult or put down others.
- Harassment, intimidation, or discrimination in any form will not be tolerated.
- Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, or exclusionary jokes are not appropriate.
- Physical or verbal abuse of any participant or guest will not be tolerated.
- Other examples of unacceptable behavior include, but are not limited to, verbal comments related to gender, sexual orientation, disability, physical appearance, body size, race, religion, national origin, inappropriate use of nudity and/or sexual images in public spaces or in presentations, or threatening or stalking any participant or guest.
- Anyone requested to stop unacceptable behavior is expected to comply immediately.
- Those who violate the standards of professional and respectful conduct may be asked to cease participation in any UNAVCO activity without warning.
- UNAVCO reserves the right to prohibit attendance or participation at any future meeting, event, or activity.
Reporting and Witnessing Behavior
- If you experience or witness behavior that constitutes an immediate or serious threat to public safety, or a crime, call 911 immediately. Take actions necessary to maintain your own personal safety first.
- If you are the subject of unacceptable behavior or have witnessed any such behavior, please report it to the UNAVCO President (presidentunavco.org), Human Resources (hrunavco.org), or the on-site UNAVCO point of contact.
Updated May 2019