U N A V C O , A N O N - P R O F I T U N I V E R S I T Y - G O V E R N E D C O N S O R T I U M , F A C I L I T A T E S G E O S C I E N C E R E S E A R C H A N D E D U C A T I O N U S I N G G E O D E S Y.
Are you a student looking for a learning opportunity? Are you an early career professional and want to connect into the geodetic community? Are you writing your Broader Impacts section of your proposal and want to leverage your ideas? UNAVCO collaborates with scientific and educational partners to prepare the next generation of Earth science students. Get help or request support from the Education and Community Engagement team at UNAVCO.
UNAVCO has a growing number of outreach materials for use in public, informal, and formal settings.
- Animations & Videos — applications of geodesy to Earth processes and career options available to geoscience majors.
- Interactive Data & Mapping Tools allow you to visually explore Earth and other worlds using geodetic and other geologic datasets such as GPS, InSAR, power-management, and environmental data.
- Hands-on Demonstrations can be used for informal and formal group events such as school visits, museum presentations, science days, at-home exploration, and so on.
- Infographics visually explain GPS, InSAR, and other areas of geodesy, and are great for use in classrooms or presentations.
- Educational Giveaways explore more about geodesy data and technologies:
- UNAVCO Global Data Ruler shows the Earth, plate motions using GPS vectors, earthquakes around the world, and plate boundary strain rates.
- PBO52 Playing Cards is a deck of playing cards featuring GPS stations from the EarthScope Plate Boundary Observatory.
- Velocity Map Posters show tectonic motions using GPS data from the EarthScope Plate Boundary Observatory, now part of the Network of the Americas (NOTA), and other geodetic networks.
- The UNAVCO Educator Packet includes the above educational giveaways and more.
UNAVCO offers internships and other opportunities for students and recent graduates.
- RESESS is a paid undergraduate research internship, learning community, and mentoring program. Students can participate for up to three summers.
- UNAVCO Student Internship Program (USIP) offers graduate and upper-level undergraduate students the opportunity to learn various aspects of geodesy research and education.
- Geo-Launchpad was a summer internship program for students attending community college in Colorado and New Mexico. The program operated from 2015-2020.
- The Internship Alumni page lists all previous interns from each program, dating back to 1998. Take a look to see what past participants have worked on during their time with UNAVCO!
- Institute for Broadening Participation (IBP) -- Are you looking for other REU and internship opportunities? Check out the IBP's website for a comprehensive list of other geoscience opportunities.
Strengthen professional skills through short courses, online resources, and networking opportunities.
- Short Courses are single- or multi-day courses and workshops geared for researchers, early-career scientists, graduate students, and upper-level undergraduates, college and secondary education faculty, covering many applications of geodetic technologies.
- Course Materials from UNAVCO-sponsored Technical Short Courses
- Early Career Professionals — UNAVCO is helping early career professionals successfully navigate the transition from student to professional.
- Science Communication — UNAVCO provides training and resources to strengthen scientists' abilities to communicate their work.
- Mentor Resources are available for faculty and other professionals working with students, including career exploration videos, mentoring tips, and other resources for student professional development.
Looking for geodesy resources that use geodetic data and modern teaching techniques to use in your teaching or after-school program? Do you want to expand your pedagogical horizons?
- Modules & Activities — curricula which includes geodesy data and technologies and often address societally important Earth science questions through the use of geodetic data; GEodesy Tools for Societal Issues (GETSI) Education Resources are displayed within the undergraduate categories:
- Data for Educators visually explore through a map view to find geodetic education resources that use high-precision GPS data, visualization tools, and educational modules/activities.
- Tutorials and Handouts provide brief tutorials on GPS and 3D imaging, as well as Google Earth KMZs and geodesy education handouts suitable for the classroom and professional development workshops.
Last modified: 2020-09-15 12:53:24 America/Denver