U N A V C O , A N O N - P R O F I T U N I V E R S I T Y - G O V E R N E D C O N S O R T I U M , F A C I L I T A T E S G E O S C I E N C E R E S E A R C H A N D E D U C A T I O N U S I N G G E O D E S Y.
Are you a student looking for a learning opportunity? Are you an early career professional and want to connect into the geodetic community? Are you writing your Broader Impacts section of your proposal and want to leverage your ideas? UNAVCO collaborates with scientific and educational partners to prepare the next generation of Earth science students.
Do you need help with any of the topics listed here?
- Request Support for:
- Proposal Broader Impacts — guidance to PIs with proposal planning and budgeting for broader impacts.
- Geodetic-focused Field Education — assistance with incorporating geodetic tools and data into classrooms and field camps.
- Student Mentoring — best practices and guidance to help mentor undergraduates in conducting research.
- Educational Materials — assistance with materials review and dissemination.
- Communicating — dissemination of geodesy education and research.
- Email educationunavco.org if you cannot find what you need in the education topics covered below.
UNAVCO has a growing number of outreach materials for use in public, informal, and formal settings.
- Animations & Videos — applications of geodesy to Earth processes and career options available to geoscience majors.
- Interactive Data & Mapping Tools allow you to visually explore Earth and other worlds using geodetic and other geologic datasets such as GPS, InSAR, power-management, and environmental data.
- Hands-on Demonstrations can be used for informal and formal group events such as school visits, museum presentations, science days, at-home exploration, and so on.
UNAVCO offers internships and other opportunities for students and recent graduates.
- Geo-Launchpad is a paid summer internship program for students attending community college in Colorado.
- RESESS is a paid undergraduate research internship, learning community, and mentoring program. Students can participate for up to three summers.
- UNAVCO Student Internship Program (USIP) offers graduate and upper-level undergraduate students the opportunity to learn various aspects of geodesy research and education.
- The Internship Alumni page lists all previous interns from each program, dating back to 1998. Take a look to see what past participants have worked on during their time with UNAVCO!
- Institute for Broadening Participation (IBP) -- Are you looking for other REU and internship opportunities? Check out the IBP's website for a comprehensive list of other geoscience opportunities.
Strengthen professional skills through short courses, online resources, and networking opportunities.
- Short Courses are single- or multi-day courses and workshops geared for researchers, early-career scientists, graduate students, and upper-level undergraduates, college and secondary education faculty, covering many applications of geodetic technologies.
- Course Materials from UNAVCO-sponsored Technical Short Courses
- Early Career Professionals — UNAVCO is helping early career professionals successfully navigate the transition from student to professional.
- Science Communication — UNAVCO provides training and resources to strengthen scientists' abilities to communicate their work.
- Mentor Resources are available for faculty and other professionals working with students, including career exploration videos, mentoring tips, and other resources for student professional development.
Looking for geodesy resources that use geodetic data and modern teaching techniques to use in your teaching or after-school program? Do you want to expand your pedagogical horizons?
- Modules & Activities — curricula which includes geodesy data and technologies and often address societally important Earth science questions through the use of geodetic data; GEodesy Tools for Societal Issues (GETSI) Education Resources are displayed within the undergraduate categories:
- Data for Educators visually explore through a map view to find geodetic education resources that use high-precision GPS data, visualization tools, and educational modules/activities.
Last modified: Thursday, 19-Oct-2017 21:35:23 UTC